While the centers were drying I cut out semi-tear drop shaped petals from coffee filter paper. I've found coffee filters to be a surprisingly excellent medium for mini flowers. It absorbs paint (I use watercolors) extremely well, doesn't wrinkle up too much, doesn't make little fuzzies when it gets wet, and dries pretty quickly. It's also cheap and I can get it from just about any store around.
After I cut out the petals I added another layer of watercolor. This serves two functions: it makes the petals brighter, and the water from the paint makes it really easy to shape into a crinkly form. Then once it dries it holds it's shape.
Once the petals were dry it was time to arrange them around the stems. I did two layers and placed the petals across from one another on the stem.
The last step is to bend the stem wires a little bit so the flowers don't look so rigid. For me, this is the most important part in making them look realistic. Most real flowers don't grow pole straight. They bend towards the sun, or in the wind. Sometimes they fall over.
Anyhow, I have a few more to make, and of course the leaves. Which I always save for last :)